FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeromexico Club Premier - Amex's "most improved" transfer partner of 2020
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:51 pm
PointsPanda

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Aeromexico Club Premier - Amex's "most improved" transfer partner of 2020

Has anyone else noticed since Delta's purchase 49% of Aeromexico how much better Aeromexico's program "club premier" has gotten?

I know all fellow FT readers reading this are rolling their eyes , I would be too, but hear me out!

I'm an American who lives in Mexico so I keep up a lot with these things, and a lot of times Aeromexico has a lot of special sales with points that gives you dirt cheap business class on longer routes within Mexico.

I just wanted to address a few things. The last time I used Aeromexico in 2016, it took 2 hours back and forth with Amex and Aeromexico on the phone just to get my account number added. Transfers took 2-3 days or more, and even worse, you couldn't book most flights online, only over the phone. Really until 2019 I just credited all AM flights to Delta, why even bother with that crap program, I said to myself.

Those days are over!

Aeromexico is now a solid transfer partner now in 2020.

1. Transfers are now instant. Its easy to add your FF account, and transfers are totally 100% instant, just log out log back in.
2. You can now book anything online including partner flights. Their new interface works perfectly like any other booking tool. Their last booking tool was a disaster.
3. Most Important: Aeromexico has plenty of Skyteam routes at a 30% discount to AirFrance or Delta's offering. Why? Because they price a lot of their same tickets in "Club Premier Kilometers" as other airlines do with "miles"
Example: MEX to GRU on their 787, AF = 72k, DL = 77.5k, Aeromexico = 46.8k MR points .... (75k but they transfer in 1.6:1),
4. They frequently have "Azul sales" (no relation to the airline) where those discounted seats are discounted even more, check this out guys and gals. Last week they did a sale 52.5k premier kilometers or 103k roundtrip MEX to GRU on their 787-9 reverse herringbone seat. Thats 33k Amex points for a 10 hour flight in J! These sales are almost never covered by the big blogs, sign up to Aeromexico's email list to get informed.

Also Aeromexico is NOT my favorite airline, but i've flown with them a lot and they have improved tremendously as an airline. Some improvements:
  • Less grouchier flight attendants and much improved onboard better service. Previously these flight attendants felt like they were "unfireable" but thankfully Delta found a way to get rid of these grunions.
    This is a flyertalk secret but before Delta's purchase it was a regular thing to see AM flight attendants and oftentimes even the pilots (hate to say it) reaking of tequila, I am not kidding.
  • WAYYYYYY better food in business class (from absolutely disgusting to about on par with Delta)
  • Wifi rapidly being installed on their 737s.
I still rather fly any other airline if I can on a business class flight. Even LATAM's dated 767-300 has a more comfortable seat and way better service. But when it comes to points deals on Delta and Aeromexico, I think Club Premier deserves a second look. For outside of DL/AM the deals were mostly on par with Delta, Air France etc. Anyways most skyteam partners suck so usually it boils down to DL and AF for skyteam awards as Korean got removed from Chase long ago as you guys already know. So this adds a new 3rd competitor to the skyteam points space and deserves a quick look.

Oh and PS: Aeromexico sells Copa space too (even though Copa's biz class sucks, sometimes they have convenient routes)

10 hours layflat for 32k amex points

Last edited by PointsPanda; Sep 7, 2020 at 9:14 pm