FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Cat. 2 Hyatt in Phoenix is best for 8,000 points?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:46 pm
steve64

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
More of the same advice...
You say you just stayed at HP TUS Airport. This location is what I call an "old build". Meaning it was originally built as an Amerisuites then purchased by Hyatt. To me, these buildings are all the same and unless the price or location is great, should be avoided.
"New builds" were built to be an HP. The rooms are essentially the same as an old build, but better quality construction (the walls don't rattle as much when another room down the hall allows their door to slam shut). The properties as a whole feel much cleaner and fresher than the old ones.

The Phoenix HPs:
North
Is an old build. In an office park. Ok if you get a room on the office park side, terrible if you're on the interstate side. Outside the office park area is not a good part of town.

Chandler
One of the few HPs that isn't an old or new build. Is "old" in the sense that it was converted from another property, but the conversion is a lot more recent than the mass conversion of Amerisuites, thus was converted to "new" style.
The unique thing is that the rooms are more like a true (2 room) suite than HP's "half wall divider" concept. It would've been better as a Hyatt House except there's just a wetbar and not a mini kitchen. The neighboorhood is ok, right next to an 80's era mall.

Gilbert
Is a new build, I'm thinking the newest HP in PHX. A growing area, but I don't remember much being there on my last visit a year ago.

Mesa
One of the first new builds. To the point that it still mostly used the yellow & orange colors of the old builds. I think it was my 1st stay at a new build and I was impressed at the time. Now I go there and the colors make the hallways look old and dingy like an old build. Nice pool. Next to a more modern style outdoor shopping are with several chain restaurants. Easy trip to the airport, but no shuttle.

Tempe
An old build. A tired old build. Closest to the airport and the only one with a shuttle. For locals, offers a "Stay-n-Park" rate that in the summer can be a good deal (if you're also needing a few night credits). Other than this, there is no reason to ever think about staying here, yet in the winter is typically the highest priced HP in town.

Scottsdale (not on your list)
An old build. Is a block or 2 from Old Town Scottsdale which might appeal to some. At least pre-covid, Saturday nights can be crazy with the bar crowds.
If wanting this area, I'd prefer the Hyatt House just around the corner. It is an old build "Summerfield Suites". Some don't like the all outdoor access or 3 story buildings with no elevators, but is cleaner than the HP.

As other have mentioned ....
Summer is low rate season in PHX. Unless you're main goal is to just burn your points, please check out the nicer properties and their cash rates.
My favorite is Gainey Ranch. I love the pool. I guess I should say the pool complex. Other than the HR Downtown, I've never stayed at any of the other non HP/HH locations.