FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Cat. 2 Hyatt in Phoenix is best for 8,000 points?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 5:23 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by Kacee
Gainey Ranch is definitely not North Scottsdale. It's below Shea, which is the traditional divider.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyatt points are valuable. I don't like to waste them. To me "waste" is any redemption at a value of 1.5 cents per point or less. It's pretty easy to redeem them over 2 cpp.
I don't know it there's a concensus dividing point for N.Scottsdale. But yeah, for sure Gainey Ranch is not North Scottsdale. Scottsdale has stretched increasingly north, but most people would still consider Kierland to be N.Scottsdale.
+1 on Hyatt points being valuable, and furthermore it is difficult to earn them. It's not like Hilton points that keep pouring like slot machines due to promos, elite bonuses and cc bonuses.

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I'm a newbie with points and frankly right now only had 12,000 Hyatt points, which isn't much, and now I'm down to 8,000 only. I thought about just finishing the points. Is there a better strategy for saving the points for a later time to get more value out of them?
I personally will only use points if I'm getting >2cents per point after tax/fees.
If you're a biz traveller with boatload of points to burn, then I can understand redeeming for lesser value than that. Even then, I think any redemption for <1.6cpm (again this is based on final total inc tax) is throwing points away.
HR Newport Beach at 8k, HR Vancouver at 12k, PH Beaver Creek during ski season at 30k, Andaz Tokyo during peak at 30k are all options that often end up being 2.2~2.5cpm redemptions.
You just have to make sure you don't let your points expire and bear in mind that devaluation can happen.