FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Brazil - Mandatory Insurance Masterthread
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:05 am
IstKong

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
While I respect your opinion , if you see the other threads both on this forum and others who've been on the ground, its pretty clear it isn't as easy peasy as just making sure the dates are ok and off you go. Also it isn't clear what "proper" coverage even means! Thats what so frustrating, if the authorities down there would just say this is the insurance you need, here is the cost, I would quickly do it.

Multiple reports on the ground which is what I wanted make clear that both the airlines and custom agents are giving a good hard look at insurance policies and making sure it passes but the problem is it really isn't clear beyond covid coverage what they're looking for. While I have insurance from the flight i'm taking, from my credit card, AND my expat health insurance, I'd still rather get some specific policy that I know passes the muster. Many reports here on this forum show people getting turned around or at least being given a very hard time.

Also not sure IMG is a great option as it says it only covered covid if your home country has not issued a CDC advisory level 3 and above (it has for Brazil). Sounds like a sneaky way of them saying they cover covid but if you read the fine print they don't really for Brazil.

Honestly would rather just spend $100USD on some fancy schmany insurance and make sure its 100% ok, then take a chance with the airline's coverage, my chase credit card coverege, or my overseas healthcare coverage.

Do you need a $0 deductible? What needs to be covered?
Which reports on the ground ?

I am hopefully going to GRU tonight with Air France flight AF454.

I have a certificate covering medical disease and repatriation, up to 150 000€, and mentioning the dates of the trip.
It's the coverage I have from my French premium credit card, with a French insurance company of good reputation.

I let you know in a few hours if I was able to board guys. I already have my boarding passes through OLCI, so it does not look like this is a flight with a heavy check of the documents (otherwise OLCI would be closed).