FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Negative PCR Clarification:
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:35 pm
joecool1885

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Wouldn't you want to know/have your results either way before you start your trip? What if you are positive for COVID and you get your results in Doha? What would you do then? Your trip would be all downhill...Try to see if you can get a rapid PCR test so you can get your results the same day. That's just my opinion so you can bypass the nerve-wracking anxiety. I know that turnaround time for a regular PCR test in the U.S. is dismal. I speak from experience as I just recently vacationed in a country that required a negative PCR test on arrival. Good luck.
Indeed I would prefer my results prior to departure, which is why I plan to take the test as close to 72 hours prior to departure as I can (regulation is I cannot take the test before then).
But turnaround is 2-3 days, and there is no certainty that taking it on a Saturday I would have it back by Tuesday (especially considering I'm unsure if they process tests on Sunday)
AFAIK, there is no "Rapid-PCR" test, rather there is a rapid antigen test, which does not qualify. If there is a rapid-PCR test, there are certainly none available to me.

A couple months ago I took the test and it took 10 days, last week I took it and it took 4 days. Some places are now saying 2-3 days, so it seems like the situation is improving here in Cali.