FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting “Downgrade” Experience Today
Old Sep 3, 2020, 5:20 pm
GagaPilot

Programs: DL DM
Interesting “Downgrade” Experience Today

Just thought I’d share my first ever “Downgrade” after UG clearing today.

Currently on DL1321 SEA-ANC. I’m PM, spouse is GM traveling on the same PNR. Out of our 4 segment trip, this is the final segment. Also the only segment we did not clear into F or C+ at the window.

Just before boarding began we were UG’d to C+ 12D/F and our apps reflected this. About halfway throughout boarding we both refreshed our apps and now showed 5C/D (on a 739). We were both surprised as we didn’t expect to make the UG based on our positions. We board, seats reprint to 5C/D at the scanner.

Just before door closure a red coat comes on and says they accidentally upgraded one too many for Covid capacity, and one of us needs to move to row 12D/E/F (whole row is open). My spouse (as he’s in 5C) offers to move as he’s on the aisle and can tell the flight is ready for pushback.

No big deal as he moves back and we depart. It’s the same extremely limited service in both cabins so no big deal. So he’s in 12F and I’m up in 5D.

Now after T/O I’m looking at my app and it shows me in 12D (PM) and he’s in 5C (GM). Just curious how the system worked that out. Also, while the Red Coat seemed somewhat embarrassed, she didn’t seem very apologetic for their mistake either. I’m not looking for compensation, but would anyone expect anything? Just curious as to everyone’s opinions. My spouse had to do a mini “walk of shame” a few rows back, but the whole thing just seemed not to the usual DL standard.

And just now as I type this I was literally “thrown” a snack box saying “This is all that’s left. And there’s no salami in it.”

My how times have changed. Make no mistake our other 3 segments have been excellent (2 segments UG’d to F, and one to C+). Perhaps this is just the oddball.