FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a sport or private pilot license: where?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:32 pm
AussieExPat

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
How much should one expect this to cost? I imagine it’s tens of thousands but don’t know if it’s closer to 20k or 80k? How much in time and money is it to get a instrument flying license?
I got my PPL in 2005 and IR in 2006 in the southeast USA. Both were between $6000-$8000 (each) near the minimum number of hours. I think for private and instrument together at a cheaper location you would be looking at close to $20k all in once you include flight training and buy the requisite Bose headset, Ray Bans, and epaulets.

I'm being sarcastic...but the $20k range in the USA would be reasonable at the low end. My flying club (one of the cheapest ways to rent) rents a late-90's vintage 180HP Cessna 172R/S for $117/hour I believe (pretty reasonable), and instructors are $30-$40/hr (cheaper than average) on top of that. So for a PPL, $147/hour times the national average that I have seen at 60-75 hours gives you between $8,820 and $11,025.