FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safari status in Kenya/Tanzania?
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:34 am
journeybound

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, SKI USA, Alpine Adventures, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG
Originally Posted by Martellus
So, I've e-mailed approximately 20 camps in the Mara. Generally speaking most of them are open, and a good number of them have some good deals that are generally valid for the next few months.

Right now I'm price-shopping between camps, but I'm wondering if a TA might get me better prices. I'm mainly interested in 4-5 nights total in the Mara. Anyone got any TAs they'd like to recommend? (Other than Rhino Africa, which seems to be well-recommended in this forum)
A TA can definitely help you get better prices, more value, and also more accurate information on the travel restrictions between Kenya and Tanzania. PM me if you're still looking for assistance.

Originally Posted by Martellus
Interesting - the august 3rd US embassy health alert (https://tz.usembassy.gov/health-aler...august-3-2020/) states the following:

But the august 7th alert (https://tz.usembassy.gov/health-aler...august-7-2020/):

Which I guess means that no COVID-19 test is needed to go from Kenya -> Tanzania, since Kenya doesn't require any testing for *outbound* travel.
As I mentioned above, it is probably best to connect with an expert on the ground in Africa rather than trying to interpret the confusing wording on the Kenya and Tanzania Embassy websites (I'll admit, some of the wording is clear, but there are some gaps that leave it to interpretation!). Potentially a safari camp or collection that has lodges in both Kenya and Tanzania. Companies like this likely have travelers interested in doing exactly what you are interested in doing: going from Kenya to Tanzania! I am not sure where you live, but also keep in mind Kenya does have a 14-day quarantine requirement for US residents of California, Florida, and Texas. PM me if you'd like me to reach out to my partners in Africa and help get a clear answer for you.

All of that being said, if you have the means to get to Kenya, the payoff will be a dream. There likely won’t be another opportunity to experience Africa and the Great Migration quite like this in our lifetime!