FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:44 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
It doesn't make any sense to try to eliminate change fees as a way to move traffic to BE. UA wants to drive passengers away from BE. The fact that BE fares can't be changed, including SDC, was actually the primary reason I never booked one. If anything, free changes on regular economy make BE even less appealing.
I agree, but the pattern I see in practice is that UA, AA, and DL use Basic Economy as their competitive leisure fare in a market, with regular economy 50-100% higher.

ex-MCI, most of my routes have a Southwest option. Southwest's WGA fare and United's BE fare are often the same (or close), but Southwest WGA's fare rules are much more closely aligned with United's new no-change-fee regular economy rules. Southwest is a little better in that you'll get a residual credit on fare drops. United looks on the surface a little better in terms of SDC/standby. But by and large, a Southwest WGA should, in the future, be about the same kind of ticket as a United regular economy. But right now it isn't the same price.

If United were really using BE to compete with the Spirits and Frontiers of the world....the $20 midcons with tons of add-on fees....that'd be a different story. But I'm seeing them using it to compete with Southwest, meaning that I'm unlikely to pay a big premium on United just to get up to the same benefit level I get on Southwest.

I'm UA Silver...maybe if I were 1K and it was a route where I was fairly sure I'd get an F upgrade, I'd think differently.

It all comes down to how they price BE and how they price regular economy vs. the competition.