FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:14 am
NYC Flyer

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I wonder if UA is hoping to sell more regular economy fares from basic. I know this would push me that way.
For sure, and if it works, they can introduce "Basic+" (all fares booked in W class or lower):

Basic+ features all the great money saving features of Basic Economy, but with advance seating, full FF benefits AND free carry-ons!

Please note, Basic+ tickets are non-refundable, and as with all Basic Economy tickes, no changes or standby are permitted. All standard economy fares will continue to enjoy the permanent elimination of change fees and free standby.

Sarcastic predictions aside, all they (or DL or AA) have to do is start adding feature bundles to basic economy tickets that will drive prices higher for those that may value the bundled features (advance seats, bags, FF benefits, free meals, etc), but are not willing to pay for the soon to be much higher "regular economy" fare with free changes and standby. Not now, but when pricing power returns...

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Aug 31, 2020 at 8:23 am Reason: sp., grammar, amplification