FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:44 pm
saaveraward

Originally Posted by bdubs7
Hey guys,

Right now I have a JFK-AUH-CMB-MLE award flight booked in first with EY and SriLanka Airlines (for the latter two segments). I now see guestsaver award availability on etihad's website for AUH-MLE, but when I called the Australian and Singapore offices neither could see the AUH-MLE flights.

1) Is this because EY is running a promotional 30% off, so maybe that guestsaver isn't available to partners? This is for an Oct-2020 flight and the flight schedule appears to have just changed in the last few days, so perhaps it hasn't loaded to AA?

2) Also I read in the wiki, that its risky to modify the awards, is there an alternative so that I don't screw up my award?

3) I booked the award flights originally in Feb-20, I am grandfathered in to the old AA award changes structure whereby I don't get charged if I get keep the origin and destination the same and thus can make unlimited changes, correct?

Thank you!
I would HUCA. But at worst case, you could remove AUH-CMB-MLE from the original ticket, and depending on when you purchased it, there may not be a re-ticket fee for changing the destination. Yes, this will force through a re-ticket but you're removing segments, not "canceling" the entire award and hoping it goes back in to saaver inventory. Then you could purchase AUH-MLE as a separate award. You would thru check baggage at JFK and be a transit passenger at AUH.

This would NOT be my preferred method. But it's an option.

You could also try a 5 day AA hold on AUH-MLE (I'm assuming this is available through AA as a stand alone segment) and then give an AAgent both PNRs and see if they can swap AUH-CMB-MLE for the AUH-MLE leg you just created.