FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:42 am
ExplorerWannabe

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
What makes you think it was a visitor who triggered this particular hot spot?
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I don't see anything in the post you quoted specific to tourists. We know from Gov's press conferences a while back that returning residents were seeding clusters, and there have been more of those than tourists. But we did have the infection rate down close to zero for a while, so it seems likelier that we re-seeded from outside than inside.
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I would guess the underlined words above were what gave the impression that it came from a tourist or visitor.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
There's currently 2 clusters in Maui, one at Maui Memorial Hospital which for now seems to have stopped growing in size with no new related cases to that cluster reported for at least a couple of days, and a 2nd one at an assisted living facility. We don't really have any visibility into how those clusters started. There's a fair amount of community spread on Maui, some of it has been tourism related, which could mean people flying in from Oahu as well as other places. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of transparency here.
-
Originally Posted by WrightHI
The point is that “asymptomatic individual brought it over” shouldn’t be construed as “tourist brought it over.” Travel from areas with a lot of cases is a risk factor, whether the traveler is a tourist or a resident, and the quarantine affects all of us, whether would-be tourist or resident. I have my issues with some of what the state and counties are doing, but the repeated implications here that quarantine is something being done to tourists because of some sort of animus are off-base.
I specifically said asymptomatic individual NOT tourist or visitor because I know from my family and friends that the spread in the islands seems to come primarily from infected residents. However, in addition to the litany above, we do know the following:
- The Wuhan coronavirus was not endemic to Maui or even the state of Hawaii. It had to be imported by infected individuals.
- Individuals can be infected and not show or feel symptoms and they can spread it to others. All it takes is one infected indvidual violating the protocols to sustain the viral spread or reinfect the population.
- The math is simple, multiplicative, and transitive. Any increase in contact from outside a bubble increases the odds of exposure and subsequent transmission inside the bubble. If case count went down to near zero for a period of time then suddenly spiked, odds are significantly greater that the virus was reimported. Ask a virologist if the the virus could have lain dormant for weeks in the resident population (as I said, it could been circulating from asymptomatic individual to asymptomatic individual to ... etc. until the spike occurred) but SOMETHING happened to cause the new spike.
- If you want to prevent new spikes, you can impose an indeterminate quarantine between presumed "safe" population and people from outside the "safe" population with unknown status or you can impose draconian testing frequent enough and long enough to presumably stamp out a dormant virus and verify the population is "safe". The first attacks the economy and the second attacks constitutional privacy protections. In the middle of the extremes is risk management.