FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of BA MidHaul
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:04 am
Joshm300

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I would definitely consider a weekend break to Moscow if the fares were a lot cheaper. I guess BA would be happy to gain some more people like me.
You have got Wizz Air from Luton to Moscow Vnukovo for the customer who is totally steered by price though? If you're willing to not choose your seat and go hand baggage only you can get there and back for less than £100, which BA won't ever be able to compete with. I would say on the whole this customer really doesn't care if they are on BA or not, as they probably don't collect points etc., they just want to get from A to B.

The customer BA should be aiming for on this specific route is the wealthy Russian who chooses to fly to London for business or leisure and myself, who has to go to Russia a number of times a year for work and finds the whole thing a bit stressful (you won't understand the relief of seeing the Dreamliner pull up at the gate at DME after a week of Russian induced wierdness and the trauma of having your passport checked at 6 different points to get out of the country until you've done it) and therefore I choose to make the journey as comfortable as possible, plus keep my Silver card from a combination of WTP and CW on the route, which then keeps me loyal to BA for my other trips. I think in this specific instance, it is a route where BA could win by differentiating themselves from Wizz rather than trying to compete with them (which I totally get is what they need to do on European leisure routes).