FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:00 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interestingly the law makes no distinction and simply states any transit of a non exempt country should result in self isolation. Perhaps the attempt by the government to provide some pragmatic guidelines is too much we should revert to the strict application of the law. I guess one advantage would be people won't then undertake silly 11 hour drives without a break and then trying to suggest "the law made me do it" as if they have no responsibility for their own actions.
I agree. What is more, the guidance/interpretation by the DoT has no legal value, which makes such attempt all the weirder, ie in the most unlikely case any case came to a court, the government's interpretations of the instruments (be it on transit or anything else) would not in any way tie judges. No doubt it would likely be invoked (either by people saying "but I did not stop and the government said..." or by the government saying "we had explained very clearly that...") but ultimately, judges would be interpreting the instruments themselves, not the ministerial guidance (except perhaps to conclude to the good faith of someone who had followed it).