FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:23 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Absolutely. Driving for long periods of time without a break is dangerous, if you are not used to it and don't know what you're doing.

Encouraging amateurs who might drive long distances once or twice a year anyone to do so is not a good idea.
Fixed that for you, and as mentioned earlier, and we are simply back to the original argument (ie, nobody said it is 'impossible' just that it is impossible to do without ignoring driving safety recommendations). Sorry, I won't enter the whole "but I know what I am doing" argument on the wheel, people on this thread who work in law enforcement or hospitals know exactly what to think of it from experience. In fact, in many countries, a professional driver driving for even 5 hours without a break would lose their license immediately, and with a number of insurance companies, driving over a certain length of time without a pause will be considered reckless driving and invalidate the collision/comprehensive part of your insurance, just as not locking your door would in the case of home insurance..

I do concur that the guidelines that were mentioned by the DoT are wholly absurd in any case. It should be that transiting in country A either makes or does not make you liable to quarantine (unfortunately, in all likelihood, should) but all that talk about getting out of the car or not, people coming on the train or not, etc is utter nonsense. It is unenforceable, it encourages dangerous behaviour (and in some cases illegal behaviour) in other countries, and more insidiously, it sends an image of petty/bureaucratic/ill-thought-through regulation which is likely to lower compliance even by those wholly unaffected by this specific discussion.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 27, 2020 at 12:35 am