FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel recommndations for Grand Canyon
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:07 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It seems like the best hotels for redeeming points and being closest to the park are the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Grand Canyon Village and the Best Western. Any other options that are less than an hour's drive from the entrance where you can redeem hotel points besides these two? Williams has a few chains, but I believe that Grand Canyon Village is closer. Was hoping to redeem Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt points. Thanks!
What are your plans while at the Grand Canyon?

If you want to redeem points, I'd recommend Flagstaff. It is a proper town, there are real shops there (Target, Sam's Club, Walmart, supermarkets, etc.). There are some fantastic restaurants; though I'm not sure what their operations are like in the current environment.

However, there is nothing quite like waking up and walking straight to a viewing point and watching the sun rise over the canyon. Or watch it set before you walk back to your room. The lodges in the park are overpriced and are mostly not nearly as nice nor as modern, but they certainly have location going for them.