FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex FHR vs travel agent with "preferred" status
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:53 am
Chris2013

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Question Amex FHR vs travel agent with "preferred" status

Hello!

I have an Amex Platinum with access to the Fine Hotels and Resorts portal but I was curious if anyone has experience with the difference between booking with FHR versus using an agent that has access to all of the "preferred partner programs" (i.e. Hyatt Prive/Four Seasons Preferred Partner/Marriott Stars&Luminous/etc). The main items that are of most importance to me when booking a hotel through any of these avenues are 1) free breakfast (huge savings) and 2) a guaranteed room upgrade 3) $100 property credit. I almost never would use the late checkout feature because normally 95% of my flights depart in the late morning during normal checkout times. The one thing I appreciate with Amex FHR is the ability to book online and see all benefits and availability in front of my face without the necessity to go through an agent, wait for a response, and then compare the cost/benefit. We have a daughter so when we travel, we usually go for larger chain properties that have activities, pools, etc to keep her entertained. Gone are the days of small intimate resorts haha!

In your experience, which is the best way to go in a breadth of generality? The one thing I've noticed is that FHR prices vary wildly from the hotel website price, is that the same with the hotel programs? Obviously I'd like to get the best rate combined with the best basket of benefit.

thank you!