FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:36 am
radonc1

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by the810
I know. So, are we gonna keep restrictions on driving to avoid increase in road deaths? Or are we gonna be a failure by letting people drive once again, once the pandemic is over?

I'd put my money on the latter. We will accept that some people die, so most people can have a life. And same thing will happen / is happening with COVID.
I find it interesting that you compare the regulations in controlling the virus to driving.

If I am not mistaken, in order to drive, one must follow certain guidelines, such as getting instruction on how to drive, passing licensing tests and re qualifications, having certain levels of health (vision, mental etc) and obeying the rules of the road which are enforced by police.

We could even go further and note that automobiles have to obey certain safety rules such as pollution control and required equipment such as seat belts.

The obvious intention of such rules and regulations is to minimize the impact of driving on a population's health and well-being, while permitting the use of a device which benefits society.

I do not think that when you are talking about a global pandemic, which impacts the health and well being of its population, that governments shouldn't institute certain rules and regulations in order minimize the impact of that disease on its people.

Just like the fact that some people would like to drive 250 km/hr on a highway, there will be some people who believe that following government mandated virus guidelines is not for them.

And just like some people will survive driving 250 km/hr, there will also be people who survive Covid while ignoring these guidelines such as those on travel and social distancing.

That does not mean that normal drivers benefited from the speeder's behavior and ......
that folks who follow mitigation behaviors benefit from those who choose to ignore them.