FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE RAILROAD AGAIN: Trains, Planes, Boats and More Trains Around North America
Old Aug 8, 2020, 4:16 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
October 21, 2019
Conway Scenic Railroad – Notch Excursion Dome ~ First Class

It sure was nice to wake up and not have to check out of my fine hotel. After availing myself of the lodge’s complimentary hot breakfast including eggs and sausage, I drove 10 miles down the road to North Conway from whence my seventh and final New England rail excursion would commence. The station was easy to find as it was located right in the middle of downtown North Conway. A plaque indicated that the station complex had been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.

Today’s ride would be aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad on a 60 mile roundtrip from North Conway through Crawford Notch on a line that was once part of the Mountain Division of the Maine Central Railroad. The train was parked at the station as I arrived and I took a moment to admire my car, an ex-Great Northern dome coach that also served on the Alaska Railroad in the 1980s. As often as I’ve ridden aboard the Alaska Railroad since the mid-1970s, the possibility existed that I’d ridden aboard this car before. The car was resplendent in the attractive green, red and gold colors of the Conway Scenic Railroad so I fired off a couple of shots of her before heading inside the station to collect my tickets.

Ex-Great Northern dome car “Dorthea Mae”
”Dorthea Mae” is named after the wife of one of the railroad’s owners

The Notch Train offers a wide variety of accommodations ranging from simple coach seats in an ex-commuter railroad car to “First Class” seats configured 2x2 much like you’d find in a normal Amtrak coach to deluxe “Screening Room” overstuffed swivel chairs on the lower level of the “Dorthea Mae” to the best of the best – a dining room table with a four course lunch served under the glass dome on the “Rhonda Lee”. All seats were available when I first discovered this railroad back in June but by the time I got around to booking, the best I could get was a swivel seat in the screening room.

The “Screening Room” aboard the Dorthea Mae

The view from the dome upstairs on the Dorthea Mae
These seats were more expensive and unavailable when I booked

The route out to Crawford Notch is classic New Hampshire scenery. As we left the hustle and bustle of North Conway behind, we rolled through gorgeous forests interspersed with shimmering rivers, sheer bluffs, steep ravines, cascading streams and panoramic mountain vistas. Check out the views!

Autumn colors aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad

Autumn colors aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad

More autumn colors aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad

At various times the tracks took us along rivers where we were treated to beautiful combinations of water and colors…

River view aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad

Watercolors

Hardly a cloud in the sky

The Rhonda Lee at Crawford’s Notch Station

We spent about a half hour at Crawford’s Notch. The old station housed an ever present gift shop and a small café. I purchased a can of Coke and enjoyed it with the Subway sandwich I’d purchased on the way into town this morning. Picnic tables were located under an awning outside the station.

When the all aboard call sounded, I re-boarded the train and enjoyed trading travel stories with my fellow travelers during the two hour ride back down to North Conway.

Heading back down to North Conway

Driving back up to Jackson after our arrival, I’d planned to run a load of laundry at the lodge before I headed off to Florida tomorrow. Imagine my surprise then when the front desk clerk said he’d be happy to wash everything for me and then drop it off in my room later. Grrrreat!

I so enjoyed my visit to The Shannon Door the night before that I returned there again tonight, specifically to try out their $17 12 ounce strip steak au poivre as well as enjoy another glass of the tasty local pale ale. There was no band this night, but Monday Night Football was on and the Patriots were taking it to the Jets, so the assembled patrons were lively and happy.

I returned to the lodge to find my laundry neatly folded at the foot of my bed and I went to sleep knowing that the little town of Jackson, New Hampshire is one place I’ll definitely be visiting again.

October 22, 2019
JetBlue ~ Economy Class ~ A320-200 ~ Boston, MA to Ft. Lauderdale ~ 431p – 802p

It’s been six years since I last flew on JetBlue – so long ago in fact that the airline has changed its entire service model. Where once the entire airplane offered a 34” pitch throughout, it has now switched to the “Economy Plus” model so popular within the industry. It even offers a First Class style service called “Mint” on many of its A321 operated transcon flights. The forward cabin of these flights features individual suites with full length beds.

Its new Economy product is called “Even More Space” and while it does indeed provide a generous seat pitch of 35”, it does come at significant cost. My ticket down to Ft. Lauderdale, booked in regular discounted Economy, cost $97.00. An upgrade to the more spacious forward cabin – or to an exit row – would have cost me $65 or about 70% more. No thanks.

That said, based upon past and current experiences, I think JetBlue’s quite a nice little airline. Its operation out of Logan’s Terminal C is much nicer than the perspective I got from my recent Alaska flight from the same terminal. Where Alaska was shunted off to some seemingly leftover gates in a narrow little arm of the terminal, Jet Blue’s operation looks much nicer. The wider corridors provide a variety of upscale eateries along with the usual airport shops along the way.

While I awaited boarding, I admired an Aer Lingus A330-300 parked next door. Aer Lingus is a partner in Alaska’s Mileage Plan loyalty program, and I’d love to someday be sitting at this gate with a Business Class boarding pass in hand while looking forward to a trip back to the Emerald Isle.

As for my JetBlue flight, it was as good as advertised. The seat was reasonably comfortable, the flight attendants were attentive, and the food I purchased was tasty and reasonably filling. We landed in Ft. Lauderdale about ten minutes early and within an hour I was relaxing in air-conditioned ecstasy at the Hotel Morrison in nearby Dania Beach.

October 23, 2019
Virgin Trains Brightline Service ~ Select Class ~ Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach ~ 1215p – 1255p
Virgin Trains Brightline Service ~ Select Class ~ West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale ~ 130p – 215p

The day started with long lines and frustration while waiting for the rental car shuttle van to pick up about twenty of us assembled outside the Rental Car Center at Ft. Lauderdale International. While other car rental company’s vans came and went with comparative regularity, we waited and waited for waited for a ride to Fox Rental Car’s off-airport location.

I’ve rented with Fox before. While I’ve been pleased with their cars and particularly with their low daily and weekly rates, those low rates often come at a price. That price is occasionally unusually long lines and wait times. Honestly, I shouldn’t complain. It’s a classic case of you get what you pay for. In my case, it was a pretty good deal in the form of a three day rental of a mid-sized SUV for just $89.00 all in.

As we waited ever longer, the crowd grew as ever more Fox renters showed up. When it became evident that there were more people than a single van would have room for, I began to consider switching to a more expensive but considerably more expeditious rental with one of the established tenants inside the Rental Car Center. After all, if there were long lines here, there were undoubtedly long, slow moving lines at Fox’s rental facility. Yep. Let’s do it.

As I gathered my gear and headed inside the RCC, not one but two Fox vans arrived. Sorry. Too late. I rent about 15-20 cars a year and have elite status with two rental car companies. With an internet connection I could set up a rental and then head straight to either my car or the express lane at the counter. And so it was that I booked a full size Grand Cherokee with Budget and used my Fast Break status to skip the line and expedite my rental. Total cost: $149.50. Yes, it was $60 more but it was money well paid. Had I stuck with Fox, in all likelihood I would have missed my next train, Virgin Trains Brightline Service from Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach.

Once again, Google Maps saved the day. I don’t have a Smart Phone – nor do I want one – and so I printed out the instructions prior to departing Alaska. Those original instructions were from the Fox lot but hey – the main thing was to get on I-595W regardless of location. After that, finding the Brightline station was simple.

But enough of rental cars and driving. The plan for this morning was to check out Virgin Train’s new Brightline service, which just happens to be the only privately owned, operated and maintained commercial passenger rail system in the United States.

For many years, the South Florida communities of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach have been well served by Tri-Rail commuter trains. These trains provide commuter train style seating and make multiple stops along the way. Virgin Trains offers an improved model highlighted by express rail service connecting the above mentioned cities while augmenting that service with hospitality both at the station and onboard the train. No annoying freight trains travel on Brightline’s tracks.

Unlike a commuter train, Brightline’s trains offer two classes of service – Smart and Select – akin to Coach and Business. Smart offers 2x2 seating while Select offers 2x1 seating. All seats are upholstered in pale grey leather. Between Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, the enhanced Select Service cost just $10.00 more than Smart, so that’s what I ordered.

Each of the three Brightline stations is purpose built and includes lounge facilities for Select passengers. Brightline’s Ft. Lauderdale station is located off a side street in a neighborhood populated with shops and small warehouses. Without directions, you’d hardly know it was there. The station offers a dedicated parking garage with full day parking going for $8.00 but complimentary if you’re a Select passenger.

Brightline Select service begins from the moment you arrive. Upon entering the attractive two story glass walled station, I immediately noticed was the clean slightly lemony scent. I’d read that Brightline had created this fresh, clean scent for all of its stations. The lemon-zest like smell is one of the first things you notice when you enter. Very nice.

Brightline stations also include a security check-point, similar to what our US airports were like prior to the terrorist bombings in September of 2001. You can keep your shoes on and don’t have to remove your laptop, cell phone or keys.

An escalator delivered me upstairs to the second level where the lounge, restrooms and a small grab & go café is located. Entry to the Select lounge is through a turnstile which allows access via an automated scan of the barcode on your ticket. With 20 minutes to go before departure time, I had plenty of time for a quick visit to the lounge.

Brightline’s Select Lounge at Ft. Lauderdale

Brightline’s Select Lounge at Ft. Lauderdale

Each of the lounges offers complimentary food and beverage items throughout the day. From opening until 11:00am a continental breakfast spread featuring freshly baked goods by Zak the Baker, fresh whole fruits, yogurt parfaits, fruit cups and daily freshly squeezed orange juice. After 11, the offerings become a lot more basic. I noticed a variety of potato chips, nutrition bars and a bowl of fresh fruit. A small display fridge offered three different beers, while champagne and wine were on ice on a large metal tub. Freshly brewed Illy coffee, assorted teas and an assortment of sodas and bottled water are also available.

Food and beverage station at Brightline’s Select Lounge

The wine offerings

Around the back side of the food station was a small business area equipped with a complimentary wireless printer and stationary supplies.

Announcements of impending departures are made five minutes out and uniformed Brightline attendants are available to provide direction and assistance onto the trains. The northbound train to West Palm Beach was departing from track 1 downstairs on level one.

As our train pulled into the station, I noted that the bright white, yellow and black locomotives are quite sleek and modern looking, much like the types you see in Europe. Each Brightline train has two locomotives (one on each end of the train) and four passenger cars - three Smart coach cars and one Select Class car. Boarding areas on the platform are identified by your car number, so as I stood under the sign designating car number 4, sure enough car number 4 came to a stop right in front of me.

Brightline Locomotive arrives at Ft. Lauderdale

Brightline Locomotive awaits departure at Ft. Lauderdale

Stepping inside, I took immediate notice of the wonderfully air-conditioned interior. I had chosen seat 2A , but since nobody was sat at the table across the way, I later relocated over there. USB jacks and electrical outlets were located at each seat as well as at the tables.

Brightline’s Select Class seating

Tables are available at the front and back of each car

As we eased out of the station, car attendant Crystal stopped by to introduce herself, greet me by name and offer a nicely chilled moist towel. Ahh… it felt so good to throw that chilled towel on my face. I know, I know… they’re designed to be hand towels but as nicely chilled as that towel was, it felt much better as a facial wrap.

Shortly thereafter a basket of snacks and candies was presented. I selected a Kind Bar. The drink cart arrived next, offering three kinds of beer. Complimentary cocktails and wines were also available. I selected a Havana Lager from Miami’s Concrete Beach Brewing Company. Finally, complimentary bento boxes with a choice of salami, cheese and pretzels or crackers, olives and hummus were offered. Salami and cheese, please.

Complimentary Select Class offerings on Brightline’s FLL-PBI train

Service was attentive throughout the 35 minute ride to West Palm. Along the way I paid a visit to the restroom at the front of the car. Wow! It was huge and clearly ADA compliant. A fold down changing area for infants was also available.

Upon arrival in West Palm, I headed upstairs to the Select Lounge and then back down to the tracks where the 130pm train delivered me back down to Ft. Lauderdale in similarly fine fashion.

All in all, this was a great way to travel on a short commuter style market such as experienced on Florida’s southeast coast. I hope Brightline enjoys much success and is able to expand its quality service to other markets around the U.S. I’d like to see Pueblo – Colorado Springs – Denver – Longmont– Ft. Collins – Cheyenne, although word is that Brightline is in the final stages of making Victorville, VA to Las Vegas a reality within a couple of years.

I spent the next couple of days down in Homestead, Florida visiting with friends who used to be Denali drivers back in the 1980s and now work with NPS at Everglades National Park. We took a drive down to Key Largo, ate Cuban and Mexican food, drank a bunch of beer and generally had a good time.

October 26, 2019
Air Transat Economy Class ~ A321-200 ~ Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Toronto, ON ~ 1150a – 245p

After having flown 201 airlines, the opportunities to add new ones here in North America are few and far between, especially given my preference for flying on jets. Unlike the 1980s and 1990s, there are few if any start-ups as their chances of success against the big six (AA, DL, UA, WN, AS, JB) are slim to none. The same holds true in Canada and Mexico as well.

Imagine then my surprise and delight to discover that Canada’s Air Transat was operating scheduled flights between Ft. Lauderdale and Toronto. Long a charter operator, Air Transat began operating scheduled flights a few years ago between Canada and the US, but mostly on a seasonal basis during the winter months. While late October seems a bit early for Canadian snowbirds to head south, what do I know? Maybe they’re ready to go already! In any event, I’m happy to add Air Transat to my list of 202 airlines flown.

Air Transat departs out of FLL’s Terminal 4. I’d never been in this terminal before and I must say it looked both newer and nicer than the other terminals at FLL. Right next to my gate was a Mexican café, so I ordered a burrito to go and awaited the call to board.

It’s always feels strange to enter a larger aircraft such as an A321 that’s configured in an all economy configuration. Somehow, a larger airplane without a proper First Class cabin just doesn’t feel right. On a positive note, I’d managed to book a seat on the aisle in row 2. Air Transat does offer more spacious seating for a surcharge, but as this airplane is configured it’s limited to the row 1 bulkhead and the exit row seats. On side note, this airplane originally flew for Aeroflot, which does have a 2x2 First/Business Class cabin. When my seatmate in the middle seat attempted to adjust his air vent, he discovered he had none as each row up front was outfitted with just 2 air vents per side.

Air Transat claims to have been voted by Skytrax as the World’s Best Leisure Airline. I don’t have a lot of leisure airline experience to compare to, but compared to the British and European leisure carriers that I have flown with, Air Transat’s seating offers 2-3” more pitch per row. That alone will score major points in my book, but the flight attendants and meal options were also very good. Meals ranged from your typical airline snacks to full on hot meals that sold for up $25.00 Canadian. Judging by the pictures in the meal guide, I’d say they were on par with average coach meals from the 70s. That’s saying something these days.

Flight time was a quick two hours and thirty-five minutes. We landed on a rainy afternoon at Toronto Pearson, apparently parking out in some distant Toronto suburb based upon the length of the walk to customs. An hour later I was relaxing at the Courtyard by Marriott in anticipation of tomorrow’s journey by train across Canada.