FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's New Automatic System for Upgrades and Standbys
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:59 pm
Doppy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My most recent upgrade experience baffled me: full Y fare, GS and number on the list, but someone came out of nowhere and cleared before me.
PAX with a premium cabin fare on another flight changing to your flight?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The article mentions the main concern I have, where I’m at, or near, top of upgrade list and am often automatically given a row 1 bulkhead seat when a more favorable (IMHO) seat exists and given to someone one further down the list. Non-airport upgrades can be changed easily (assuming the upgrade notification works), but it sounds like the new system may fill better seats before I get to select.
One way to handle this would be to collect detailed seat preferences in in MileagePlus profiles - there could be different seating situations (bulkhead, emergency exit row, non-reclining seat, window/middle/aisle) and options like "preferred/acceptable/never" and then the supposed AI system could allocate based on that.

I completely agree about bulkhead seats. I like having underseat storage, and it would be great to have a way of preventing automatic bulkhead assignments when there's another seat of the same type (first, business, PP, E+) available so I don't have to manually make this change every time an upgrade comes through.