FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will United let you fly to a restricted country, not enter but return to USA?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:50 pm
kevflyer

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by villox
I know the borders are closed for the purposes of Americans entering Europe or Canada for example. But would it theoretically be possible to say, fly EWR-MUC and immediately turn around and do MUC-EWR? Or EWR-YVR-EWR?

If you stay airside, is it allowed by United (Germany for example states that travel to Germany is allowed for Passengers in Transit.)

Please leave judgements aside as to whether this is a good idea during the pandemic, I'm looking at what will technically be allowed.

You can't do a USA-USA in YVR without clearing Canadian customs:
If you are making a USA to USA connection, you MUST pick up your bags and clear Customs
https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...ssenger-guides

So, although you can technically remain airside, you still have to clear Canadian immigration first, and then go through a transit security check, then US pre-clearance (assuming you're departing from US departure hall), before you end up at the US departure hall. If you are somehow allowed to get on a flight to YVR, you would most likely get denied entry to Canada (or you voluntarily withdraw your entry application) - at that point I don't know what would happen - if you have your own ticket, maybe they'll let you take that flight back to the US? Or they put you on the 'next available flight' back to the US on your dime (which could be any airline)

Last edited by kevflyer; Aug 4, 2020 at 2:58 pm