FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points By Sheraton Catania Hotel & Conference Center
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:37 am
cbellero

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Four Points By Sheraton Catania Hotel & Conference Center

Check In The check in process was typical for Covid times - disinfectant available at the door and at the reception desk, plexiglass shield at the reception desk and mask required.Otherwise everything was seamless and as one would expect.I was upgraded upon check in from a standard room to an ambassador suite as an ambassador elite. We had to wait 30 minutes for the room to be disinfected. We had made our reservation just 30 minutes previous, so it was not surprising that they had not prepared for our arrival. Room The room was great. According to the website it is 71 m2. The only bigger room is the presidential suite which has 90m2 and a whirlpool, although I am not clear if it is indoor or outdoor.In any case, our outdoor terrace was very spacious and certainly had enough room for a private soaking pool or whirlpool.I will let the pictures speak for themselves. I found the cleanliness to be of high standards.Living/Dining RoomBath with Bidet and Walking Rain Shower (No Separate Bathtub) Walk in ShowerCouches in Living/Dining Room (There is Also a TV)Comfortable BedTerrace RightTerrace MiddleTerrace LeftView from Terrace Service The staff was very friendly and helpful.We took a taxi to the city center and felt a bit surprised that they were not ordering a city taxi but the hotel taxi, which cost 25 EUR, which is quite high compared to regular prices.When we came back from the city we also got overcharged at 20 EUR, but we were tired and wanted to get back. I expect a normal price would be 10-15 EUR. Since we were traveling by rental car, I did not look into rideshare alternatives, but would recommend it to others. Then you can avoid the discussions with the taxi drivers about why their meter is not turned on. Dining We only had drinks by the pool and found the prices to be a bit high. On one day we went to a supermarket to buy some drinks and just enjoyed the pre-dinner period on the large terrace.The breakfast is called continental. At least currently during the Covid period you are allowed to select from multiple items from a menu, including some cooked items, which are currently served to your table. The quality was good. I personally enjoyed trying out the local options.I chose the continental breakfast as my platinum amenity. Location The location is not in the city center, but outside. It takes about 15 minutes with traffic to drive to the center. This area is filled with coastal homes, flats, hotelÅ› and beach clubs.There was a beach club immediately across the street that was open until 2 am and had a DJ pumping out loud music. We were not that interested to hang out in crowds, so I cannot speak from personal experience.Next to the first beach club there is also a very reasonably priced pizzeria with view of the sea. I was a bit shocked to get a liter of wine for 5 EUR. The pizzas were tasty and the restaurant was well visited.Parking is possible for a fee at the hotel. Street parking is also available. You must pay in advance at a parking meter. I believe the chargeable time is from 8:30 to 20:00. A full day of street parking is 6.20 EUR. The meter only took coins. It has a credit card slot but it was broken when we used it. If you forget to get to your car in time in the morning you will likely get a fine of 30 EUR. We got a 30 minute warning at 8:34 and the fine and 9:04.The location is good for a weekend chill, to use as a base at the start/end of a holiday that starts/ends in Catania or as a base to explore the city, Mount Etna or other nearby attractions.As with most of Sicily, I would recommend travelling by car as public transportation seemed to be infrequent. Overall I recommend this hotel if you are in Catania. It is the only Marriott hotel in Sicily, but that should not be the reason to stay here.If my travels take me back to Catania, I would definitely stay again. Amenities The hotel has a pool and a pier extending into the Mediterranean. The pool is located on the first floor. I am not 100% clear if they always charge for usage of the pool and the pier, or if it is just for the towel and the usage of the loungers. In any case the charge for status customers was 8/12 EUR per day for pool or pool plus pier and 10/15 EUR for non-status customers. I called my ambassador and the charge was waived for me for both days.To get to the pier you need a special key and your room key. It can be reached by going down a spiral staircase from the pool area and then going through a tunnel underneath the road. There is also food and drink service available there, but I expect it would be slow. A lifeguard is also stationed there.The hotel also has a gym and tennis courts, neither of which I tried or viewed.Currently (and it appears also regularly) there is an art exhibition in the hotel spread around different floors.