FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:57 am
est-gratuite

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently in the post corona virus / covid era.
I really enjoyed my stay.
My notes :

-At the time of my visit (July 2020) only a few floors were open and being used for guests. I was hoping to get an upgrade to a room with a balcony but reception told me the floor with the balcony rooms were closed. This is strange as they were selling balcony rooms online. Either way, I was still given a nice upgrade to a junior suite on the 5th floor.
-Breakfast is served in the restaurant, but there is no buffet. You can order items at no extra charge.
-The club lounge is closed but the hotel is kindly letting all guests with lounge access go to the "Taste it" Italian restaurant on the ground floor where you can get free drinks and cold or warm food in the afternoon and evening. The hours for warm food are a bit more limited. I really appreciated this, as many hotels with closed lounges are giving nothing to compensate.
-Windows DO open for fresh air in this hotel which is always a bonus.
-Staff and service was very good at this hotel.
-Parking garage costs 19 euro per day and is under the hotel.

General info:

-Getting to the old part of town is about a 20 minute walk. It's nice walk along the river, but if you have been walking all day, getting back later will be tiring. If you're tired or it's raining I reccomend public transport or a taxi. Taxi cost me just under 10 euro from the old town.
-Really reccomend visting the gardens at the "Schloss Mirabell" (Mirabell Palace) just behind the hotel. Really beautiful and great photo ops with the castle on the mountain in the background.
-For evening dining I reccomend the "IMLAUER Sky - Bar & Restaurant" which is just across the street from the hotel (1 minute walk away). They have a rooftop terrace on the top floor with tables outside, and if you're lucky you can get a table with a nice view of the castle while dining. Food is great too.

2 important tips for car drivers.

-Refueling your car is much cheaper in Austria than in the neighbouring countries of Swizterland, Italy or Germany, so I strongly reccomend getting gas/petrol before you leave Austria, if you are heading to ( or coming from) any of these 3 countries.

-In December 2019 the Austrian government designated some short sections of the motorways/highways as totally free so you do NOT have to buy a "vignette" (Highway tax sticker). This includes the A1 highway from the border at Walserberg in Germany all the way to the junction exit "Salzburg Nord" in Austria. When crossing the border from Germany at Walserberg, follow the signs for the airport and "Salzburg West" and keep driving. The correct highway exit for the Sheraton is "Salzburg mitte" which comes BEFORE "Salzburg Nord" This means you can travel in your car from the German border to this hotel (and back) using the motorway/highway without paying anything. However if you go further in Austria than "Salzburg Nord"" on the highway you have to pay. Also, if you make a mistake when crossing the border and get on the A10 going south to "Salzburg Sud" you also have to pay. Make sure you follow the signs closely.

More info on free use of motorways in Austria here:

https://www.asfinag.at/toll/vignette/

Last edited by est-gratuite; Aug 4, 2020 at 4:07 am