FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can Americans Transit / Connect Through Europe Right Now?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:09 pm
lsbuffs

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by hdogan
So... you asked in the relevant thread, got the consensus response that it's risky, and now are... trying to solicit other responses until you get some that are what you want to hear?

It's risky. I wouldn't do it. Not so much about FRA, but you very likely will not be allowed to board your SFO-FRA leg. And that assumes that you don't have check-in baggage or they check your bags through all the way, which, considering the circumstances, they may or may not do.

Worst case, you can go to the airport at your departure date, take your chances, and be prepared to not fly.
I'd agree if there were issues with this itinerary, it would be on the SFO-FRA leg. The transfer in FRA wouldn't be an issue as there's no passport control (or even a security check) transferring to the IST-bound flight.

Data points seem to suggest that transit is allowed through EU airports as long as you're traveling to a country that allows Americans and are on a same-day ticket and don't leave the transit area.

I have a booking made a long time ago for September travel from LAX-ZRH. If I were to travel to Croatia from ZRH it would be on a separate ticket. Reviewing all the rules there's really no mention of needing to be on a single ticket, but if you get unlucky and get the wrong agent or they're having a bad day, could make for a lousy day of travel (or non-travel).