FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Place Poughkeepsie, NY - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyinHawaiian
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hyatt Place Poughkeepsie, NY - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Didn't see this property listed in the archive, so I thought I would start a new thread.

This is a new (opened in July, 2019) build property on Route 9, about a 10 minute drive South from downtown Poughkeepsie. The campuses of Vassar and Marist Colleges are in the area, with the Culinary Institute of America (C.I.A.) a little further. It's nice to have a Hyatt option that higher up in the Hudson Valley than the Hyatt House in Fishkill. The property shares the lot with a large self-storage building, so the entrance off of Route 9 is a little past the hotel. If your are coming up Route 9 from Fishkill, there's a left turn cutout lane that you can use. If you are leaving and want to head North up Route 9, you have to go South a bit and then make a U-Turn in the provided cutout.

Being a new build, the room layout is different than the Amerisuites version. Other than the standard King and Double Queen rooms, there is a King Suite (explained to me to be corner rooms) and an extra large Double Queen Suite with a kitchen area and dining room table. I opted for the standard King on the top (4th) floor, facing away from Route 9.

The general layout of the new design has a larger bathroom with an enclosed sink and walk-in marble shower (with fire-hose water pressure). The small alcove with the wet bar and desk is missing, replaced by a long desk that runs from the living room area to the wardrobe closet opposite the foot of the bed. Under the desk is a very small mini-fridge and some drawers for clothing. There's an abundance of power ports throughout the room, which is nice. The other major difference is that the rooms all have uncarpeted laminate flooring with a rug in the living area. I didn't mind this at all.

The room was very quiet and there's a tall grove of evergreen trees outside of the parking lot that provides a nice view with privacy. This property also supports the mobile key locks, which is nice if you want to minimize contact with others (and key cards). A card is needed to insert into the reader in the room to activate the outlets and climate; any magnetized card should work; we used our H-Mart grocery card.

For COVID-19, housekeeping is limited to a few days a week; we had to order extra towels from the front desk which were quickly provided. Annoyingly, they only put one regular coffee pack in the room and didn't have any extras at the front desk. For breakfast, the cold breakfast options were packaged instant oatmeal and cold cereal boxes with wrapped green apples and bagels. There were also packets of peanut butter, jam, and butter. There's also a microwave that can be used. There were also milk, apple, and orange juice tanks with paper plates and wrapped cutlery packets. Plastic trays are also available to help carry items back up to the room. If you want a hot breakfast, you can ask for a pre-made order per person; one day was scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, and mixed potatoes. The next morning was waffles and bacon along with the eggs and potatoes, with a half-slice of marble bread.

We found the location to be a convenient base to make day trips to Beacon and Fishkill to the South and Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck, and Hudson to the North. Woodstock is across the Hudson and about an hour's drive.

Overall, it's a nice and clean new property and the GM is pretty quick to answer emails. I wasn't too impressed with the on-site level of service from the staff on duty or the reduction of services, but would likely consider staying here again.