FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:01 pm
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jkirk
Hi folks, could really use some advice here.

In April of this year, I booked a round trip JFK-LHR-JFK, using Avios and a Chase companion voucher, for travel this coming October. I just learned from BA that my outbound flight has been cancelled. That's fine with me, as I was wanting to reschedule this trip to next April, returning in May. My companion voucher would otherwise expire prior to the new dates, but my understanding from the Wiki is that in these circumstances, the voucher basically gets extended to my new travel dates. I also understood from the Wiki that in these circumstances I can rebook into any flight with seats available - there don't have to be seats available in the Avios fare bucket.

When I called BA to make the change, however, they are telling me that the above only applies if I rebook within the validity period of the original ticket, i.e. one year from when I booked the ticking in April 2020. Because my new dates are outside of the one-year validity period, they are limiting me to choosing new flights that have avios inventory available.

This doesn't seem consistent with what the wiki says, so I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something, the agent is wrong, or the rules have changed

Can anyone advise? Thank you!
There are two options here:

1. rebook as a result of a cancelled flight, in which case you can book regardless of reward availability on the same route, but it must be within ticket validity (1 year from when originally booked)

2. take a future travel voucher (flights don't need to be cancelled for this) which holds your cash, avios, and voucher which expires April 2022. You can book up to the expiry of April 2022 but you will need reward availability.