FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a powerful PC at a low price {Merged Threads}
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:09 pm
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by puchong
Do all Dell XPS come with additional free memory slots or do I have to replace the existing memory cards with higher capacity ones?
All Dell XPS desktops are micro towers, i.e. a full-size MB. So it should have 4 memory slots with at least 2 empty slots available. To maximize the memory, you may have to upgrade the existing memory as well.

You can check the manual before buying so that you can confirm the MB is suitable for you.

If it comes with only a SATA hard drive, will there be a slot available to add a SSD? How many can I add?
It is model dependent. Early XPS models do not come with any specialized ports, i.e. SATA only. Later models come with mSATA or M.2. So before you buy any SDD, make sure you can confirm what kind of ports it has.

Also - even with SATA, Dell is known to use caddy to hold hard drives. So you may have to buy a adapter or use adhesive to secure the drive.

If it comes with a generic Intel HD Graphics card, can I replace it with one of my choice? I have experienced a previous PC which had the display card soldered in!
Intel HD Graphics is a chipset within the CPU, which is not something you can remove. The BIOS setting should be able to prioritize (if not, you should be able to change it).

Note - if the last letter of i7 model ends with F, that CPU does not come with the Intel HD Graphics.

Is there any difference in intrinsic product quality between Scratch and Dent models and Refurbished models?
Not really. Keep in mind - they can be returned if you are not satisfied. And they are always in working condition. It still has a full 1-year warranty.

Finally, I have a 10% discount if I order it atdell.com/amex; however, I cannot find the same computers that I see at outlet.us.dell.com. Does anyone know a workaround - obviously the deals on the outlet site are better!
Dell Outlet discounts are independent from the "main" Dell. So no. Even Dell employees don't get discounts from outlet.