FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Announces Q2 2020 Financial Results 21 July / Conference Call 22 July
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:19 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
-increases in capacity will be titled towards leisure / visiting family/relatives destinations (not sure how the latter is identified). Personally, if I were UA, given the better state of the Northeast, I would look into exploring unorthodox routes if they are profitable - boost routes from EWR to elsewhere in the Northeast until early/middle fall, maybe even look at flying some increased routes out of smaller airports (e.g. HPN), and maybe even do some ex-BOS flying if it makes sense. Rental car prices are really high ATM (especially ex-NYC), so if UA could make money selling cheaper routes, maybe it makes sense?
I have been astounded by the price of rental cars. I would have thought there would be a glut and proced accordingly. I then compared to the price of flying where I needed to go and the flight was expensive.

I have been driving (personal vehicle) rather than flying for some recent trips. These trips are where I would have traditionally flown but the price was significantly higher than previous flights so drove. Also driving that behavior (driving) was that my recent Inited flights were so crowded and other pax not wearing their facemasks during the flight I decided that driving was optimal.

Interested to see what United says in the call. Tje way they have been pushing in-flight products (email nearly every day) had me thinking they were hurting but it may be the way they think they can make some money.