FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus: testing and travel
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:22 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Concern over long-term pulmonary, cardiac, neurological, or circulatory damage. A friend in NYC, fit 50ish woman, survived COVID but suffers with the perhaps permanent aftereffect of feeling like she's in an earthquake every 60 minutes or so. Neuro phenomenon they can't figure out. Anyone blithe enough to suggest just getting it 'cos it's really nuthin', I'll connect you with my (much-diminished) friend.
That is very unfortunate for your friend, but the stark reality is that is vastly outlying case. For the very large majority of people, racing out to get a vaccine that is largely untested brings with it the potential for equal or far greater risks.

If this were a situation of the Ebola virus going airborne and being spread like wildfire with a 80-90% mortality rate, yes, everyone should race out and get a vaccine, tested or not, because the benefits would likely outweigh the risks. In the case of COVID, those feeling at risk will need to weigh the opportunity cost for themselves, but IMO for younger, healthy people I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the risks at this moment.