FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:38 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomad420
I hope this is not true, if so I will need to AGAIN scramble at what I am going to do. Rescheduling airline tickets is the least of my issues at this point.
It is true. The only question now is what the new (always subject to change) date will be.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/lg...TSAK-0-TpQGdh4

Lieutenant Governor Josh Green says the governor will likely delay the reopening of tourism, which is currently scheduled for August 1. Although the governor has yet to make the announcement.

The county mayors have already expressed that it would be safer to do so. Some experts agree that Hawaii is not ready, but some economists say it’s time for everyone to take personal responsibility regarding COVID safety measures and let tourists return to the islands.

After marathon meetings with the mayors and health officials, Gov. David Ige will likely make the official announcement after the weekend. That’s according to the lieutenant governor, who says the August 1 date will be pushed back.

“The governor has to make this decision. The best approach is to delay so that we’re safer, so we can get control of the virus with a date certain. And then two weeks before that, give an update of where we are right now,” said Green.“