FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will a single late (5 days) payment disqualify me for a Centurion Card?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:04 pm
GundamWing01

Originally Posted by mia
Is there some evidence that American Express ignores history on other cards?
are you specifically referring to derogatory marks such as a late payments? or you mean spend history/activity? for derrogs, i wouldnt say amex "ignores". its just considered less important in relation to the totality of the account. there are so many other factors when under amex cent review. if youre late on $1MM payment, doesnt matter if its on plat or credit card like a cobrand, youre not doing yourself any favors. but $100? its too marginal to care. especially for a 5 day late payment. solvency is what matters to amex. thats why some could still get the cent even with terrible credit because of the spend and payment history alone. if youre pushing $10MM/mo in certain manufacturing or luxury categories and paying with legit global bank accounts or even wires, and the source of funds are not in question, amex is not going to care about a small late payment on any card. but ive heard amex definitely cares about BK even when pushing large sums and even BK was several years back. and getting a FR is certainly a no-go.

but when it comes to spend history, using the plat matters. the focus has always been on the plat cards. personal or biz. i assume its because the revenue structure is very different for amex when spend is done on plats. although not always the case in every scenario or in every amex issuing country. getting the amex cent is not a linear deal where you check certain criteria and you get it. getting the card is analogous to how certain laws are "applicable" to certain classes of wealth. meaning its YMMV. also, EU cents are supposedly "easier" to get, but the benefits are very different as well. maybe thats why US cent can transfer into EU cent, but not the other way.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jul 12, 2020 at 5:15 pm