FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA-Allianz Travel Insurance - COVID Cover
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:16 pm
flatlander

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I would note the HSBC Premier insurance is the best I’ve come across in light of COVID-19 as they cover medical expenses (but not others) even if you travel against UK government advice.
Interesting. Their website still has the blanket statement "Travel insurance is designed to cover for unforeseen events. Because of rolling, global media coverage, from 17 March coronavirus is now a known event. This means you will not be covered for any claim relating to the current global crisis COVID 19. For further information you should refer to your policy wording (specifically page 18 clause 13)." There is no clause 13 on page 18 of the policy wording.

Their FAQ does say what you say: https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/coronavi...avel-guidance/
but their blanket statement made me feel that they weren't going to be much use if I did travel.

One very significant advantage of the HSBC Premier travel insurance for anyone with a mild medical condition is that they have a very pragmatic list of common mild medical conditions, in particular ones well controlled by existing treatment, for which they do not charge extra. When something like mild asthma (controlled with inhalers) or mild hypertension (controlled with medication) can easily triple the cost of separate travel insurance, this is valuable. I can only imagine the telephone-number multiplication results of coronavirus cover + asthma or similar.