FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Safest” Club Europe seats
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:39 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I can give you a very scientific answer here....As an ex-smoker, the worst place to be on a plane was by the window.....

Why.......the air conditioning on all aircraft sucks the air towards the window and upwards as that's where the air goes to be re-cycled. Therefore, anyone sneezing, or coughing, or smoking or even exhaling (God forbid) in the aisle - all their "stuff" is going to be sucked towards the window and whomever is sitting there (I remember sitting next to a woman in business class who smoked 40 Marlboro on our trip back from Hong Kong....I was by the window and everything came my way.....I was pretty sick getting off that plane)

So, I would say an aisle seat is the best place to be as you will only be be breathing your stuff before it starts its journey towards the window.
I think it's the other way around now, the flow is generally air comes in from top and side, and flow out of the vents at the bottom. See the Airbus diagram in this article https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-02-0...WJW/index.html

I am not sure there is an obvious bad place and good place to sit with regard to window, middle, and aisle.