FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Travel Flights Cancelled.. What Options Do I Have Now?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyingSloth

Unhappy Chase Travel Flights Cancelled.. What Options Do I Have Now?

Just wondering about my situation because several things are new for me. I was in Singapore before the pandemic, and ended up extending my stay in Singapore from March to July due to flight cancellations and concerns about the pandemic. I booked a EVA Air flight with Chase Travel (I have a CSR) and I used all miles except for a few dollars on the CSR card for the booking. I am packed and ready to leave Singapore tomorrow with EVA SIN->TPE->SFO->PDX when I got an e-mail a few minutes ago saying EVA SIN->TPE is cancelled, making the rest of the trip not possible.

I know that the itinerary can be cancelled and the UR points and and credit card payment can be refunded. However, the problem is I actually need this itinerary! But this itinerary is not available until 19 July at the earliest. That is a long time to wait. I already have no more accommodation in Singapore, and I already have non-refundable accommodation paid in Portland.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? I know that SIN->TPE->SFO should still be available with Eva Air for numerous days, the problem is I also wanted the SFO->PDX United flight, and I wanted it on one itinerary for the two free checked pieces of luggage on the United flight. I also wanted the United flight, because as a nervous flyer I feel more comfortable on a B737-900 than a E175 (which seems to be the only plane being used between SFO or LA to PDX during this time, with the exception of the United SFO->PDX flight that I booked).

- I've never used Chase Travel before.. I normally book direct with the airlines all of my life. But I wanted to use the Chase UR points I've been saving up for a year. I have no income and no employment, and so I decided to use all my UR points to get back to my home country after being in Singapore for several months longer than intended due to the pandemic and flight cancellations over the last few months.

- I've never had a flight cancelled before that I booked with a CSR card. This is my first Sapphire card. Skimming through the travel cancellation / trip interruption coverage points, so it seems like carrier cancellation is NOT COVERED? I thought that was the whole point of trip cancellation. Or maybe I don't understand at all how it works. Does it matter that I'm also returning to the U.S for medical reasons? It's so confusing how a carrier could cancel a flight at the last minute, leaving me once again stranded with no accommodation and non-refundable accommodation at my intended destination, and that it would not be covered

- Because I'm someone who cannot sleep on flights due to anxiety, and also can't take medication for it.. I have been gradually adjusting my sleep schedule for the past two weeks to prepare for this itinerary.. the timing makes the most sense. So I really want this exact itinerary on a different date as soon as possible. But I'm not sure what to do as the next availability is not until 19 July at the earliest.

I'm very confused what to do as I'm packed and ready to leave tomorrow. I have all my bookings and plans in the U.S already. I've never had a flight cancellation so last minute. EVA has not even listed the reason for the cancellation.

Last edited by FlyingSloth; Jul 5, 2020 at 9:54 pm