FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:12 pm
PDXPremier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
From the AS Blog:

We take the use of masks and face coverings very seriously, like we do for any safety, health and well-being issue for our guests and employees.

Overwhelmingly, those who fly with us understand and appreciate the importance of wearing masks and face coverings during this time of COVID-19. We also rely heavily on our guests to do the right thing for the greater good of everyone onboard our flights.

Our flight crews encounter moments when some travelers disregard or disobey our mask requirement. It creates tension and anxiety for many of our passengers who do have their face coverings on. So, a change is needed.

Starting in early July, our flight attendants will be empowered to issue a final notice to any guest who repeatedly refuses to wear a mask or face covering on board our aircraft. With that warning – in the form of a yellow card handed to them – the guest’s travel with us will be reviewed and could be suspended for a period. That would be a decision we do not take lightly. By working together, we do more for the common good.

As part of a final warning, this yellow card could be issued to a guest who repeatedly refuses to wear a mask or face covering on our aircraft.

(Full post here:https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...k-enforcement/)
I would be interested to find out what AS Flyer's take is on this policy, but from my perspective, I think it's a win-win. It provides some measure of mask enforcement while also limiting the potential for direct confrontation between passengers and flight crews. Honestly, I am more considered about passenger to passenger conflicts than crew to passenger. I was on a short SEA-PDX flight the other day where another passenger was visibly upset about another passenger not wearing their mask. It won't be long before we see a FT thread with "Yellow Card Reports"......lol....to keep the soccer analogy going, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the red card

Last edited by dayone; Jul 1, 2020 at 8:12 pm Reason: Deleted quoted image for readability.