FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Synchrony Verizon VISA looks pretty good if you use Verizon Wireless
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:43 pm
cjw2001

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jebr
That said, I'd generally agree that there's not a lot of people that are getting a Costco membership solely for the Citi Costco card. The Wells Fargo Propel card offers 3% back on travel, gas, and dining, along with a few categories that the Costco card doesn't (I don't think transit is considered travel with the Costco card, and streaming services get 3% on the Propel but not the Costco card.) It also slots in okay in a 2-3 card solution (along with a 2% general cash back card, and maybe one with rotating categories or a grocery card.) It's American Express-branded, but that usually isn't an issue if the vast majority of transactions are within the US; there's been maybe a handful of times where an American Express card hasn't been accepted for me in the US over the past couple years that I've been using one as a primary card. While the Costco card does earn 1% more on gas, that's only for the first $7,000, and then it drops down to 1%. If you get a Costco membership just for the card, that extra 1% only makes sense between $6,000 and $7,500 in gas each year (anything above $7,500 and the no-limit 3% is better again.)
I agree that the decision as to whether to have a Costco membership should be standalone decision independent of the card. But once you have the Costco membership adding the Citi Costco card is a no brainer (no incremental cost plus 2% back on your Costco purchases). The 4% back on gas is great for non grocery chain gas stations. I've also got the Wells Fargo Propel which is a nice compliment to get 3% back on gas at grocery chain gas stations where the Citi Costco gives only 1%.