FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Purchase protection denied - "reasonably safeguarded"
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:01 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by wmz
What does "reasonably safeguarded" mean?Thanks,
They can't define it, but they know it when they see it!

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The OP might want to clarify if the bike was locked at all. Just because it can’t be locked to something doesn’t mean it can’t be locked.
I was going to say the same thing. Locking a bike to itself, such that it can't be ridden off, isn't going to be perfect, but it at least prevents someone that might be tempted to just hop on and ride off into the sunset. I heard from an insurance agent once that supposedly 1/3 of all cars that are stolen are taken just because the thief needed to get a ride somewhere. This is probably outdated by a few decades at this point, but back in the day, when cars were more-easily hotwired, I can see this having been the case. A completely unlocked bike is practically an open invitation for someone to hop on and take it a few blocks away to where they need to go rather than walk. That kind of thinking is hard to comprehend for those of us that don't steal things and think it's wrong, but not everyone thinks that way.