FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's for dinner?
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:46 pm
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We’ve had a few legitimately hot days in London and I’ve been prodding at and expanding my gazpacho repertoire.

Fresh apple makes a good substitute for bread, sometimes I prefer it.

Adding a couple of de-stoned Japanese umeboshi (preserved plum/apricot) really “brightens” the taste, makes it more refreshing yet keeps the gazpacho in balance with regards to vinegar. It’s not that different to adding raspberries.

Adding a ripe peach or two is currently popular in Spain, have to say that peach melds in particularly well if there’s a a bit of umeboshi already in there.

Haven’t yet bought one this year, but next variation will be adding watermelon and less water (which has also become popular in Spain).

Most recipes I’ve seen in English call for way too much garlic. Less is more, I save those little nib cloves specifically for gazpacho.

I tame the onion now using a technique I picked up from Japanese recipes - I sprinkle the onion with some salt and let it leach for a few minutes whilst I cut up the other ingredients. I then rinse and squeeze the onion before adding it to everything else.