FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:54 pm
ExpatExp

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
The US-Canada border is still closed, isn't it?
Originally Posted by Robbo1
The land crossings were and remain closed but air travel has always been permitted I believe. Subject to having to quarantine on arrival of course
Fortunately, the US-Canada border has not been closed, and the land crossings have not been closed either, at least not in the last few decades nor as a whole. I believe some news outlets may have been using the word "closed" to mean "open and subject to additional restrictions", which has led to some confusion.

The border is open. There are some virus-related restrictions about who is permitted to cross the border, and the restrictions are different depending on how you cross the border and in which direction you are going. There are some FT threads about this, in case anyone is considering a visit to or from Canada.

Originally Posted by Finkface
Air travel from Canada to the US is permitted. Not from the US to Canada, other for Canadian citizens/PRs or for essential travel.
Yes, that seems to be my interpretation also. To put it another way, the border is not closed and has not been closed, the land borders have always been open and continue to be open, there are restrictions about the types of crossings that are permitted, air travel in both directions has always been and continues to be possible for those who meet the requirements, and the requirements in each direction are different. That's a mouthful!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Jun 25, 2020 at 2:03 pm