FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated]
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:07 am
onlyairfare

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This week, I have to add four more incl. three more music festivals :
- Calgary Stampede in the last week of June;
- Calgary Folk Music Festival in July;uran
- Edmonton Folk Music Festival in August;
- Folk Alliance International in Kansas City in Feb 2021.
I don't get the last one? Seems a long time in advance? Wonder if its got to do with insurance? guarantees @ the Westin MCI?
There are a lot of non-refundable costs that must be paid in advance of a musical/arts event, and the small non-profit organizations that sponsor them cannot afford to lose that money if the event is canceled closer to the date. I just had a charter "theme cruise" canceled in mid-March and the charter sponsor is able to refund only 74% of the paid fare; 26% of the fare paid last November has already been spent on insurance, legal fees, equipment rentals, hotel guarantees, etc.

The National Cowboy Poetry Festival scheduled for late January 2021 was canceled 2 weeks ago. I think it must be the same problem. The Western Folklife Center which sponsors the festival can't afford to pay out those non-refundable expenses and then have no festival revenue.

When MerleFest, scheduled for late April 2020, was canceled around February, I just donated the cost of the tickets I had purchased - they need the money for those same advance costs.