FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Investigation ordered into TSA response to coronavirus after whistleblower complaint
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:47 pm
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Several items in OP's link leave me with questions.

Is the release of a whistleblowers name generally made public? Even given this guy is a known complainer outing his name doesn't seem helpful to the issues that need to be addressed

If glove changes are required then why would a passenger have need to ask for a screener to change gloves?

Why not issue PPE stocks on hand? Why did TSA warehouse N95 masks in the first place? For what planned purpose, not met by an epidemic, were they intended to be used?

As typical, TSA has once again missed the boat.

It appears that Mr Brainard makes certain his name is attached to anything he does.

Some passengers that do not actually see the TSO change gloves, will request a clean pair. Sometimes, passengers will watch a TSO change gloves, and still ask them to change them again.

Simplest answer is that not all airports had huge supplies of PPE (in terms of disposable PPEs like masks). I have no idea why they were warehoused, but one challenge is that it takes certain orders from on high to move those items for distribution. I am uncertain where those orders come from, but the airport staff only get these items when the correct "declaration" or order is given. We were lucky, we had some pretty good supplies for our PPEs, and we were able to take advantage of local sources before the serious lockdown changes came about. Some other airports were not as lucky. As is, 3 months of exchanging out disposable masks definitely puts a dent in the count. Quick calculation that is probably not completely accurate shows that masking 1/4 of the workforce with disposable masks for 90 days hits 3.375 million masks. There are other factors not included in that, but you can see how it adds up quickly.