FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Negotiating long-term rates at luxury hotels
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:15 am
DavidO

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
I’d curious if you are better off directly approaching someone like the director of sales, versus going through an agent. Not having to pay commissions (~10%) vs no existing relationship. I suppose if the TA really knows the sales team, you are better with that approach, otherwise go directly.
There's a counter-intuitive element to consider — sales managers have annual sales goals; if they meet their goal, they earn a bonus. What counts towards a sales manager's goal are leisure sales made through their "clients" — i.e., TA's. For this reason, sales managers are incentivized to work with TA's — and if there is a reason to be flexible (low expected occupancy levels over that period or an extended stay), a sales manager will work with a TA to make the sale. As CityFlyer10 has said, it helps when the two have worked together for a long time and know each other.

While, obviously, a direct individual sale will be more profitable for the owner, you're not negotiating with the owner. The performance of a hotel's sales team is evaluated by RevPAR (total room revenue divided by total number of rooms). Cost of sales, whether they be commissions paid to a TA or salaries paid to the sales team) are not part of the equation. Neither are utilities, housekeeping, taxes, insurance, etc.

Last edited by DavidO; Jun 20, 2020 at 6:45 pm