FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Negotiating long-term rates at luxury hotels
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:36 pm
FellPaisleyWrack

Thank you for your replies.

Originally Posted by Privateupgrades
In most luxury hotels, you get a better price for extended stays - usually this is 10-30% less than the standard rate. It is best to travel in the low season. Then it can also be 50% of the regular price. It depends on what you plan for a budget per night. For anything over 250 USD, you can also consult a Virtuoso agent. Agents will get you a better price than you can as they mainly know the people in the hotels personally.
I must confess that I am rather surprised that the discount can be as low as 10%. Are hotel occupancy rates generally that high? I tend to stay in less expensive cities, such as Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok, where my budget is around $4,500 per month for a studio.

Originally Posted by NikonDuser
You didn’t mention how long your stats are. In my experience you can expect approx 25% off when staying for one month +. You can negotiate some other benefits like 25% off F&B and up to 50% off laundry.
The longer your stay, the greater the discount achievable. Another negotiation factor can be prepayment, if you prepay 100% of your stay, the hotel will be more flexible to provide a discount since they will always be concerned about an early check-out before the agreed length of stay.
Negotiation can be started at the reservations office contact and then you can push to escalate up all the way to GM level.
I typically stay one to two months at a time, though I am considering living in hotels full time. I am willing to prepay for stays of up to several months in length. In your experience, does that allow for a discount greater than 25%? Is there generally a contract with prepayment, or is there still the danger of being walked if a more lucrative customer comes along?

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
I’d curious if you are better off directly approaching someone like the director of sales, versus going through an agent. Not having to pay commissions (~10%) vs no existing relationship. I suppose if the TA really knows the sales team, you are better with that approach, otherwise go directly.
Thank you for the advice; I didn't realize commisions were so large.

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
FellPaisleyWrack Yes, Virtuoso Advisor can negotiate long term rentals/stays. And depending the property, some are designed with this in mind.
For example, just this week, I negotiated a month long stay for a client at Rosewood Mayakoba at a substantially discounted rate.
Last week, I negotiated a similar deal at an Aman for a client for an extended stay.
Dorado Beach is publicly offering discounted long term stay deals. Discounts for stays between 14 nights - 60 nights or more and the discounts increases along with the duration.

In December, I booked myself a nearly month long stay at Rosewood Hong Kong's longer term Residence which is like service apartments but obviously a different league, entirely.
The value was very good vs. booking a suite on the hotel side.

I think you'll be surprised in the value you may be able to find. But like all things in this space, it can vary widely between properties.
Thank you for letting me know about the public Dorado Beach offer. 20% off for a stay of just 5 nights is astounding. In your experience, what is a reasonable target for which to aim when negotiating a stay of, for example, 1 month in length? At something like a FS/MO/RC/etc.

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
If you’re looking to gain night credit or points in a rewards program, make sure you are asking for an extended-stay rate that will still allow you to earn. Sometimes, a special “manager” rate is ineligible because it’s a deeply discounted rate.
Thank you for pointing that out, I'll be sure to keep it in mind. Is it generally worth paying the premium in order to gain credit/points?