FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trans Tasman Bubble (including the Pacific Islands)
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:20 pm
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I didn't think it was realistic early on. But there has been more than one day of 0 local virus cases in Australia. So it was tantalizingly close. Heck, if you take out VIC they've basically done it. If AU did a lock down like NZ they would have almost certainly achieved a similar result. But hindsight is an easy thing.
Yeah I agree we were/are pretty close. But I wonder if the public would have gone along with it. The problem with eradication is requiring 28 days of no cases. I just don't think the majority of the public who have lost jobs/businesses etc would be willing to sit around for a month waiting for no new cases. And imagine trying to sell eradication if after 20+ days you get a random community case pop-up.

And then once you get to eradication what happens next? Unlikely that the virus will disappear and it could be years before there is a vaccine. Will Middle Earth become the Hermit Kingdom?