FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:48 am
cosmo74

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas PL
I'm a bit lost with this blanket status extension rules.
My year will end on 8th of August 2020. I managed to get 1670 points before the whole COVID so I secured status extension without any special threshold reductions or blanket extensions - so I'm "safe" until August 2021.
Does this blanket extension mean I don't have to get any points between August 2020 and August 2021 to still keep my gold status until August 2022? Or for those who managed to get the points "regular way" there is "nothing" extra in this blanket status extension and I still need to collect 1125 Tier Points after August 2020 before August 2021 to keep my status until 2022?
It's all about as clear as mud as I think effectively not everyone is actually getting an extension. I used the online form to try and clarify a few points as I'm currently Gold on 1320 TP with YE in Sept and wanted to know whether it was worth trying to get to 1,500 before then so that I would effectively be extended until Sept 2022. The initial response was:

- You would not need to earn any further Tier points for this membership year. The 1 year extension you your Gold membership will be in effect from 9th September 2020 to 8th September 2021 and will be applied automatically.
- You would need to earn 1125 tier point inside your next tier point collection year to retain gold for the year 2021/22.
- We would not roll over the extension for a further year if you achieved the 1500 Tier Point threshold in your own right by September.

I went back to them and asked 'so effectively there is no status extension if you have already renewed this year?'. Their response was: 'If you have already renewed then this is correct, however we will only require the lower threshold in order to renew your status once the 1 year tier extension has expired.'

That last sentence has left me confused all over again, as it implied that I don't need to start earning until Sept 2021, despite their second point above suggesting that I need to start earning in Sept 2020, whether I renew this year or not?