FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:57 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
May I ask why you like your odds for September? I would love a dose of optimism. Had to cancel my annual Whistler trip yesterday. I could use a pick me up. :-)
The virus does only one thing: it goes away. The problem is that it can go away slowly, especially if your area hasn't been hit hard. So-called "flattening the curve" has upside and downside. The policy was never implemented to actually reduce cases, just relieve the strain on the health care system, so you wind up getting a longer, flatter curve. That's almost certainly what we're seeing in the USA in places far from NYC now. In the USA Northeast, the virus is now disappearing quickly. This is no different than Europe's experience.

Unless we get a completely unexpected twist, we will continue to see hospitalizations in the USA and Canada decrease in the next month. The USA should be at only a few hundred deaths within three weeks. You can see these numbers dropping sharply already (even on Worldometer, where they're very skewed by states "dumping death" from "probable" cases many weeks ago). I would note that Canada's deaths-per-million number is very similar to America's if you exclude the few counties making up the NYC metro area.

With declining deaths and hospitalizations, logic would suggest everyone will be more comfortable with cross-border traffic. What does worry me is that there are provinces in Canada with almost no death. This can be a bad thing because it makes you VERY scared about COVID -- so scared you don't act rationally. You see this in America, too, like Hawaii. So there's no guarantee the border will open in a couple months. But I do think it likely, at least based on the science and data.

BTW, if you want to see what's happening in America, take a look at Massachusetts data. Because of their proximity to NYC, they were hit very hard and fairly early. You can see what the virus does over time (especially since Massachusetts does a good job presenting their data). The virus is less scary when you know the real facts, and don't rely on scare-mongering media.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download