FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A message from your future: Travel after Corona [in New Zealand]
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:39 am
exbayern

And that is why I don't consider this thread our future. I don't agree with the model that Australia, NZ, Hawaii, and a few other places have chosen. The goal was to reduce strain on hospital systems, find treatment options, increase PPE stock, etc. The goal was never to eradicate the virus in the short term.

My initial response to this post was 'so?'. As long as travellers on international inbound flights are quarantined, and some system is in place to ensure that occurs. there should not be a need for a hyper response amongst the general population. In many parts of Europe, masks are no longer being worn, venues are open, and cases and deaths are not rising. (And to clarify, I don't think a quarantine is needed most places but as NZ wants to continue this goal of zero cases then they will continue to quarantine)

When a region/country aims for zero cases, then two cases becomes a concern and they have a much more difficult time to determine a future plan, unless they want to stay isolated into next year (which seems to be the case, based on Australian comments again today)

This is thankfully not 'my future'.

Last edited by exbayern; Jun 17, 2020 at 11:26 am