FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:41 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Club Europe offer

These photos are from today's GLA-LHR service, which I think is BA's second shortest sector at the moment. However this would be the same offering to all CE flights at the moment. It is prepared by Do&Co and comes in boxes. For some reason the vegetarian option came in a brown bag, sealed with stickers. I have a feeling that was a temporary bodge rather than what was supposed to happen. All means are being loaded at LHR, I don't think there are any night stops at the moment.

The non breakfast two options are chicken Caesar, which is what I opted for, or a cheese sandwich. Vegetarians get a mini fruit salad rather than the chocolate mousse.

Before that all passengers, CE and ET, got an amenity pack, as below. The ziplock bag is there to be used for the products after use.

So here is the box, which looks a serious effort at least, as well as being practical in terms of loading on to the trolleys and handing it out to customers. It is sealed with the front label. A few drops of water got on to the top of my box in the transfer process.

Then opening up the box, and sightly raising the cutlery, we get to see this.

Here is a photos to see the salad and mousse better. The salad was chickpeas and brocolli salad on a yoghurt dressing.

And here is a close-up of the chickean Caesar sandwich. Quite generously filled, it was easily of Prêt standards I would say. For the short flight from Glasgow this was fairly generous in terms of food, though clearly when flights to Larnaca start up it may well not be enough for some travellers.

The full bar is back, including Speedbird 100 (which was definitely loaded), wines and spirits. Chef's Chat suggested that the wine is not vegan (or even vegetarian) which isn't unusual for European wines. Beers were also loaded. I didn't see any champagne but I'm guessing that was also available. No ice or lemon is available, and the only workaround I can think of is to chop a lemon up into slices, deep freeze it in shape, then wrap it to keep it frozen and then you can bring it through security. However I gather some more facilities are opening up next week in Heathrow, definitely Léon in Terminal 2, so it may be possible to get ice next week in T5.

Overall this certainly was an improvement on last week, and the crew were pleased to have something better to justify the CE product. The ET product remains the same (plus the amenity kit) so essentially it's crisps and water versus the meal box and a reasonable selection of drinks in CE. So that may prove sustainable for the medium term. I gather that Tourwest are inclined to disengage from the Buy on Board service provision, so the ET offer may be around for a while.