FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:06 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
There are plenty of views on both the bull and the bear side. I would love to see the DOW back at 29k, but that doesn't change the fact that the Fed has largely propped this up with stimulus that is going to have an inflationary effect on the dollar and unemployment is still like 13%. That isn't going to change until things open up and people go back to work. Beyond that, the longer we stay closed, the more long term damage is going to be done. Sure some young people may die, some healthy young people die of the common cold also. At some point you have to look at it from a coldly statistical perspective, toss out anecdotal stories and see what the most rational path forwards is. With the data we have now on the IFR, my opinion is that allowing healthy people under 65 to resume normal life (as close as can be expected) while safe guarding at risk populations both saves us from another 1930s style depression, and takes reasonable care as to the health of the populace. There is no scenario in which everyone is 100% safe at all times, life is inherently dangerous.
In my local area age and distribution of confirmed COVID-19 cases as of yesterday. There are two confirmed and one possible deaths. Not sure how isolating 65+ would impact this.

• Female — 169
Age Ranges of confirmed cases:
  • 0-9 — 16
  • 10-19 — 23
  • 20-29 — 54
  • 30-39 — 71
  • 40-49 — 73
  • 50-59 — 52
  • 60-64 — 21
  • 65-69 — 8
  • 70-74 — 2
  • 75-79 — 5