FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trans Tasman Bubble (including the Pacific Islands)
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:56 pm
kiwifrequentflyer

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by zoovet
Nice to know you believe everything that's written in the newspapers. As far as I can tell the bubble with australia is being pushed by those associated with the travel industry plus some business interests. Eventually the bubble will exist but hopefully not for a while.
Nice to know you didn't actually read the articles or watch the interviews before condescendingly making that reply.

Literally the Australian Pacific Island representative goes on record announcing this, blatantly saying the government (not just himself) supports this and will seek a Pacific Island bubble, and gives details and a rough time line they are thinking of, but no, "nice to know you believe everything in newspapers"

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wo...2cb4e68536f64b

"We absolutely support the concept of a Pacific Travel bubble and working out arrangements with various Pacific countries to enable the resumption of travel for tourism and various other purposes." - tiny snippet with interview from Minister of International Development & Pacific Islands

But no. "Can't believe everything you read in newspapers!"

The bubble is happening. Regardless of how many people here are still unconvinced. And yes you are right: its happening after the TT bubble. That is literally the issue of contention that lead to the snarky posts. Why. I said it's not because NZ has to choose between the Pacific vs Australia, because AUS plans to extend the bubble, others mocked me and said Australia has not said they plan up open the bubble at all.
​​​
There has actually been slightly more clarity given on these past few days on why from Australias side, and it appears to be a safety issue, not a Pacific vs. Australia issue. They want to test the TT border first before expanding it to vulnerable nations. Other experts disagree there is a safety issue, so now that is being discussed.
​​

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jun 13, 2020 at 3:06 pm